Saturday, August 29, 2015
French Pastry Murder by Leslie Meier
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book put me in a quandary. I liked the story line, and the characters were quite suited to their roles, each with a unique perspective to portray. Yet, there was an underlying abrasiveness to the whole scenario.
This was due to what I'd call really good writing. The conflict of cultures, of Americans in France, was at the core of this abrasiveness. It was so subtle in so many ways, yet so front-and-center at the same time. It was done so well that it put me right in the middle of it. I felt it, as if I were another American in France, right there with the characters.
Aside from this, there is also a good bit of family conflict, as well as a side-bit of conflict among peers. Yet, even with all this, it's all good.
The story itself is a modern one, touching on issues that most would be aware of today. At the same time, it is filled with tidbits of culture, and knowledge of the French and of France, that not everyone could be aware of. I found these aspects quite interesting.
The story flowed along nicely. There was never a stagnant moment, yet so many moments touched on the mundane and the everyday. The mix is brilliant.
In the end, I was able to sleuth out the clues and solve parts of the mystery. Still, I couldn't have solved it all, though I'd had my suspicions. There were still enough surprises to keep me guessing, right until the very last pages.
I'd say I'm still feeling a bit roughed up by the French, at the moment, but I'm glad it's all done now.
View all my reviews
Friday, August 28, 2015
Today offers a bountiful harvest of sweepstakes. If you're looking to have fun, then you've come to the right place! Tickets to an air race, the chance to see the Razorbacks play, a new horse trailer for hitting the trail, or even a trip to a ranch... any of these could be yours, and yet there is still so much more!
It's Friday, so what the heck. Plan away and see what you'd do with a win from any one of these sweepstakes. It's a fun day to play sweepstakes, anyway! Well, that's any day...
"Grab Your Weekend by the Horns" - Fort Worth Weekend Getaway Sweepstakes
Travel and accommodations are not included in this prize. What you see is what you get.
Grand prize package includes the following:
2 reserved seat tickets to the 2015 Red Bull Air Race at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas.
$200 American Express gift card
2 tickets to the Stockyards Championship Rodeo
2 tickets to see Billy Currington at Billy Bob's Texas
2 Stockyards Adventure Passes
$100 dining card to Capital Grille in downtown Fort Worth
Total ARV $556.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal U.S. residents, 21 or older. Ends September 17, 2015.
Petit Jean Meats SOUTHWEST CLASSIC Ticket Promotion
Though this sweeps gives you a travel voucher, you are still responsible for your trip and lodging.
* Grand prize includes four tickets to the Arkansas Razorbacks vs. Texas A & M Aggies game on September 26, 2015, Prize includes: $500 Travel voucher for accommodations and fuel, and a Petit Jean Gift box. Total ARV $1,960.
One entry per person/per day. Open to legal U.S. residents, 18 or older. Ends September 8, 2015.
Win a Trailer Sweepstakes
* Grand prize is a Sundowner 3-Horse Sportman trailer. ARV $19,857.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the continental United States (excluding NY and RI) and D.C., 18 or older with a valid social security number at time of entry. Ends September 30, 2015.
For smokers, 21 or older...
The Marlboro Winter Ranch Promotion
Bull Riding at La Crosse Center ~ Tickets are going fast!
Thursday, August 27, 2015
Today brings all the excitement of professional bull riding to your realm of opportunity! All those cowboys... mmm. But anyways, the prizes here are pretty great! Imagine a trip to Las Vegas for the world finals. Wow. The lights, the action, the thrill of it all... all those cowboys...mmm. Er, um, all those fabulous animals! (I mean the bulls, and even the horses. They, too, are pretty magnificent!)
Ahem. These trips are packed with perks, to make it a once-in-a-lifetime experience! What's more, you could even win a Ford truck, along with that fabulous trip!
All those cowboys...mmm.
Professional Bull Riders "The Ultimate PBR Tycoon Experience" Sweepstakes
This sweeps is currently in entry period #2, which ends on August 30. Entry period #3 ends September 6, #4 ends September 13, #5 ends September 20, #6 ends September 27, and #7 ends September 30.
* Grand prize is a trip for two, of up to nine nights, to the 2015 PBR World Finals in Las Vegas, Nevada, between the dates of October 17-26. Includes air fare, accommodations, and many extras. Total ARV $12,500.
* First prize is a two night stay at the Bass Pro Shop Cypress Lodge and a $500 gift certificate redeemable at Bass Pro Memphis. Transportation is not included. Total ARV $2,000.
* Second prize is a NASCARVIP Experience for two, consisting of two pit passes, a Meet and Greet with PEAK Driver Clint Bowyer, and a VIP Garage Tour from Michael Waltrip Racing at a NASCAR event in 2016. Transportation is not included. Total ARV $1,000.
* Weekly prize #2 is a $500 gift certificate for Dickies.com. ARV $500.
* Weekly prize #3 is 12 pairs of Wrangler Jeans. ARV $1,200.
* Weekly prize #4 is a Jack Daniel’s custom engraved barrel head. ARV $1,500.
* Weekly prize #5 is a Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe Box Set, consisting of 3CDs, DVD and vinyl records and an acoustic guitar autographed by Justin Moore. Total ARV $390.
* Weekly prize #6 is a RMEF Lifetime Membership. ARV $1,500. (I believe the RMEF stands for Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, but it isn't specified in the rules, so that's just my best guess.)
* Weekly prize #7 is a B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, a B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch, and a B&W Tow & Stow Receiver Hitch. Total ARV $1,800.
The rules are pretty vague on entry limits. From what it states, I gather it's one entry per person, with bonus entries available. However, when I entered, I found no way to get bonus entries, and the confirmation page states to check back every week and enter again, so it sounds like weekly entry. As always, your entry is your own. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., 21 or older. Ends September 30, 2015.
The 2015 Built Ford Tough Good Works Sweepstakes
* Grand prize is a 2015 Ford F-150 and a trip for two to attend the 2015 Professional Bull Riders Built Ford Tough World Finals in Las Vegas, projected to take place 10/21/15 – 10/25/15. Includes air fare, accommodations, and more. Total ARV $54,000. Sponsor will also donate $25,000 to the charity of winner's choice, designated upon entry, for a combined total ARV of $79,000.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., 21 or older with a valid driver's license at time of entry. Ends October 11, 2015.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Today brings that wondrous prize of being able to pick and choose what you want, with thousands of dollars in gift cards! A good old fashioned American Express card would take you on a weekend trip, if you so choose, with a thousand dollars to spend on what you will. Then there's another thousand to spend on any of the umpteen million products on Amazon.com. Oh, the choices abound! If you're looking for some new furniture, then Frontgate has you covered, with tens of thousands in gift cards, and several winners!
It's enough to make your head spin!
* Grand prize is a $1,000 American Express gift card.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States (excluding RI), 18 or older. Ends December 31, 2015.
Amazon Wishenpoof Wish List Magic Sweepstakes
* 3 Grand prize winners will each receive a $1,000 Amazon.com gift card.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., at least 18 and the age of majority. Ends September 14, 2015.
Frontgate 24th Anniversary Sweepstakes
* Grand prize is a $25,000 Frontgate gift card.
* One weekly prize winner each week, will receive a $10,000 Frontgate gift card.
One entry per day. Open to legal U.S. residents, 18 or older. Ends September 13, 2015.
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Today brings some magical sweepstakes, with the chance to win a trip for you and three of your closest friends and family members. These are not just any trips, mind you, but trips to the most magical place on earth, Walt Disney World! Wow, what a way to spend some adult time in the cooler months of the year!
What?!! Spend time at Walt Disney World without the kids?!! Well, you might just be surprised at how fun it could be. Have you ever been to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival? Well, you may just be that lucky, with a win from today's sweepstakes!
Unwrap the Magic Sweepstakes
* Grand prize is a four day/three night trip for four to Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Florida, scheduled between September 23, 2016 and November 14, 2016. Includes air fare, accommodations, and various park passes and activities. See rules for details. Total ARV $6,367.16.
* One weekly winner each week will receive a Werther's Caramel Gift Basket containing Werther's product, an autographed Gail Gand Cookbook, and a $25 Disney gift card. Total ARV $75, each.
Two entries per person/email address per day (one for entry form, and one for correct word scramble answer). Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., 18 or older. Ends November 15, 2015.
The Chew's "Magical Culinary Adventure" Sweepstakes
* Grand prize is a five day/four night trip for four to the Walt Disney World Resort to experience the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival (Trip must be taken between October 8 and October 12, 2015). Includes air fare, accommodations, four 5-Day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park Hopper option, four tickets to a live taping of The Chew, a meet and greet with hosts of The Chew, one $500.00 Disney Gift Card, and more. Total ARV $6,190.64.
One entry per person/email address per day. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., at least 18 and the age of majority. Ends September 18, 2015.
Savor the Magic Sweepstakes
You must be or become a member of Disney.com to enter this sweeps. It's free.
* Grand prize is a five day/four night trip for four to Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Florida. Includes air fare if winner lives more than 250 miles away, accommodations, up to four 5-Day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park Hopper Option, one dinner for group, and more. Total ARV $5,500.
One entry per member per day. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., who are not minors. Ends September 30, 2015.
Monday, August 24, 2015
Today you have some awesome opportunities before you! First off is the chance to win a big fat check from Great American Country. This is quite the thrill, to be sure. With it, perhaps you would even buy an RV, if you don't have one right now. If you do, then the next two games are for you! What a thrill to win Dish TV for your RV! Then there's that generator, too. What an invaluable item to have!
If you'd want the chance to win an RV, I've included two other posts in the links below, that will give you that opportunity. The Jayco sweeps in the first post allows two entries, so if you've already entered twice, then you're good to go. In the next post, the sweeps from KOA allows daily entry, so all entrants can enter it again.
GAC's Great American Country Giveaway
* Grand prize is a check for $50,000.
* 1 Weekly prize each week, each of a check for $1,000.
One entry per person/email address per day. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, D.C., and Puerto Rico, 18 or older. Ends September 25, 2015.
The OutdoorHub/Dish August Sweepstakes
* Grand Prize consists of the following:
KING Tailgater Satellite Antenna bundle
55-inch flatscreen TV
Portable inverter generator
Zippo All-Terrain grill
2 outdoor chairs
Total ARV USD $4,039.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, D.C., and Canada (excluding Quebec), 18 or older. Ends August 31, 2015.
Dish for My RV
This is a contest, for which you must submit a photo. Though no judgement criteria is designated for judging photos, they must meet the standards set forth in the rules.
* Grand prize is a DISH Tailgater Portable Satellite Antenna Bundle, and a $150 Gift Card. Total ARV $650.
One entry per person/email address. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., at least 18 and the age of majority. Ends August 31, 2015.
The two posts below still have open sweeps to win an RV...
It's a Virtual Camping Trip!
A Mattress Vacuum, A Bike, A New RV, and More!
For residents of the following Maryland counties: Harford, Baltimore, Baltimore City, Anne Arundel, Carroll, Cecil, Queen Anne’s and Howard...America’s Largest RV Show Sweepstakes
- ► 2017 (58)
- ► 2016 (236)
08/23 - 08/30
- Saturday Surprise! French Pastry Murder by Leslie ...
- Weekend Fun in Fort Worth, a Trip to a Football Ga...
- Win a Trip to the PBR World Finals in Las Vegas, a...
- Enter to Win Thousands in Gift Cards!
- Win a Trip to Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida!...
- Flash Freebie! Ends 8/26
- Enter to Win a Bundle of Cash, or an Entertainment...
- ▼ 08/23 - 08/30 (7)
- ► 2014 (315)
- ► 2010 (10)
- ► 2007 (45)