Saturday, August 29, 2015

Saturday Surprise! French Pastry Murder by Leslie Meier ~ Book Review


French Pastry MurderFrench Pastry Murder by Leslie Meier

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book put me in a quandary. I liked the story line, and the characters were quite suited to their roles, each with a unique perspective to portray. Yet, there was an underlying abrasiveness to the whole scenario.

This was due to what I'd call really good writing. The conflict of cultures, of Americans in France, was at the core of this abrasiveness. It was so subtle in so many ways, yet so front-and-center at the same time. It was done so well that it put me right in the middle of it. I felt it, as if I were another American in France, right there with the characters.

Aside from this, there is also a good bit of family conflict, as well as a side-bit of conflict among peers. Yet, even with all this, it's all good.

The story itself is a modern one, touching on issues that most would be aware of today. At the same time, it is filled with tidbits of culture, and knowledge of the French and of France, that not everyone could be aware of. I found these aspects quite interesting.

The story flowed along nicely. There was never a stagnant moment, yet so many moments touched on the mundane and the everyday. The mix is brilliant.

In the end, I was able to sleuth out the clues and solve parts of the mystery. Still, I couldn't have solved it all, though I'd had my suspicions. There were still enough surprises to keep me guessing, right until the very last pages.

I'd say I'm still feeling a bit roughed up by the French, at the moment, but I'm glad it's all done now.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive